The following content displays a map of the jobs location - York
Dean of York
The job has expired.
The seat of the Archbishop of York, the Cathedral and Metropolitical Church of St. Peter in York – York Minster as it is better known – is the mother church of the Northern Province and the Cathedral for the Diocese of York.
York Minster is a precious and treasured place. We are looking for a Dean of York who can capture and embody the ‘big picture’ of a big place – a Cathedral which serves the Diocese and Province as well as being a Minster for the City. We need a person of energy, focus, vision and humility to lead the Minster in shaping and influencing the life of the North and building on emerging plans for mission, service and ministry, all in the service of Christ.
Further information about the role is available on the dedicated microsite: https://jobs.churchofengland.org/deanofyork.
If you would like to find out more about the role, you can arrange a conversation with Brad Cook (Appointments & Vocations Adviser) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The panel have identified the following priorities for the ministry of the next Dean of York:
- Leading the Senior Executive Team and wider Cathedral community in developing the role of York Minster in ‘living Christ’s story’ together, through:
- equipping people within the Cathedral and across the Diocese to be confident in sharing their faith in Jesus Christ,
- intentionally working collaboratively with other churches in York in mission and evangelism;
- increasing opportunities for younger people, those from different socio-economic backgrounds and people of Global Majority Heritage to grow in faith and truly belong to the Cathedral’s communities
- seeing through plans to reorder the interior of the Cathedral in order to bring about greater flexibility for worship, ministry and mission.
- Inspiring people within the Cathedral community to continue on the journey of culture change which has already begun, embedding recent progress in governance as the Cathedral prepares to adopt the new Cathedrals Measure.
- Overseeing the development of the Minster Precinct neighbourhood plan, engaging positively with stakeholders to raise the necessary funds and bring the developments to fruition which will result in furthering the Cathedral’s ministry and mission.
- Building on the potential of the roles of the Minster as the seat of the Archbishop of York and Metropolitical Church of the Northern Province, working collaboratively with the other Deans and Cathedrals of the province in mission and ministry where appropriate.
- Forging partnerships with civic and community leaders, working together for the benefit of the wider society, being a Christian presence and voice in the public square who can engage confidently in public discourse from a theological perspective.
The Ideal Candidate
Whilst previous Cathedral experience would be an advantage and love of the liturgical traditions that are the heartbeat of Cathedral life is essential, we are committed to nurturing a culture of diversity and inclusion and would like to encourage applications from a wide range of people. If you have the gifts and experience we need – and sense that God might be calling you – then we would like to hear from you.
The following key criteria have been identified by the panel:
- An inspiring, consultative, and resilient pastor with strong emotional intelligence who is experienced in enthusing, equipping and enabling people to flourish, whilst also challenging them to aspire to a bigger vision.
- A gifted preacher, teacher and evangelist who has experience of leading numerical growth in worshipping communities and is able to help people grow as confident missionary disciples.
- Is committed to excellence in worship drawing on the best of the Anglican choral tradition whilst also encouraging different styles of worship and ways of being Church which will enable as many people as possible to find a spiritual home.
- Gifted in developing and maintaining partnerships and able to build relationships with individuals and organisations (both in the church and wider communities) of the City, Diocese and Province, working together for the benefit of the Gospel and the common good.
- Understands the need for good governance and effective implementation, with experience of leading staff teams and handling large budgets and the wisdom to know when to seek and act on the advice of professional experts.
York Minster is, and has been for almost 2000 years, a centre for Christian life in the north of England. It is also one of the most iconic and famous buildings in the United Kingdom: a gothic masterpiece in stone and stained glass.
The Minster is a magnet drawing people to visit the City of York and a defining symbol of this ancient capital of the north. Alongside this rich history and architectural heritage the Minster is also home to a thriving and diverse community. Prayer is at the heart of this shared life: the regular rhythm of daily worship presented within walls that have soaked up the prayers of the last 1400 years.